Sunday, November 21, 2021

First Playable

For this week working on my project, I dialed back on putting details into my project because I want to leave that until near the end of my game, so this week I focused on my game mechanics and how I’m going to implement them for the player and enemies in my game.

I put my players and zombies into my game area and positioned my camera where I wanted it to be for the players' view, which is top-down. I made materials for my player and zombies so I could rule them out and distinguish between them both.

After all that, I added in my player-controller script and started working on how my player moves through the game area, which has proven to be a bit of a tricky task, but I am getting a lot of inspiration from the unity unit that we did, which was Unit 2, because it has the player view I am looking for and I knew when I did that tutorial that I would take a lot of inspiration and help from it. But I'm getting there. The hardest part of my player's movement is allowing him to move around the whole map rather than only a bit of it.

So I have my project planned out and will work on key parts of it every week. Next week I’m going to work on my enemies and the spawn management for them and work on having them spawn in the way I want them to, which I don’t think will be that hard to accomplish, but so far it’s all going well and surprisingly enough, I’m having no difficulty with the script coding. So the unity tutorials were great practice for sure.

My own screenshot from unity

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jordan,

    Really nice work done so far damn, I did the exact same thing in my game, I wanted to make sure all my basic components worked well before diving into design. I am super excited to see your game in action!! The tutorials have helped me a lot too, I have even found tutorials that are suited for my game idea. Is your game going to be a first person game or like an aerial view of the map?

    Best of luck Jordan in the coming weeks, excited to see the final result.

    Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jordan I really like the idea and is looking well and I did the same Jordan I focus on my controls and so on first rather then working on the graphics and so on. It's good to see you have the Player Controller added in and the follow player script also. Sounds like you have it all planned out in the future and look forward seeing you game next week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jordan

    I think your playable is looking well so far. I decided to focus more on getting a working game first rather than making it look good first. I really like the idea of a zombie game too. I wish you the best of luck with your game and I look forward to seeing how it looks at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jordan!
    Your first playable is looking like a really good start to your project!
    I think focusing on the game mechanics first is a good idea so you kind of know what way you want your game to go before adding in all of the visuals to tie it all together at the end. I've been hesitating with starting my project because I don't know how I want it to look so I might go with the method too.
    Best of luck with the rest of the project!
    Rachael :)

    ReplyDelete

Project Progress

Image from wallpaperflare.com This week is the final project task for my 2D game that I created and called Knight trials I had a lot of fun ...