Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Game Design


Image from www.reddit.com
                                                            
Reading through these articles made me realize how much work goes into game design and all the different methods that are involved in the process, and it honestly made me even more curious about what working in the industry is like.
 
I liked what was said at the end of this article, which stated, "Part of the process is killing the weaker idea and making it stronger." It really stuck with me.
 
When learning about different methods for generating ideas in this article, I was most intrigued by the Ramsey Method, because what you do first is find and gather as much data as you can about the game you need to create, and then with all that data you spend loads of time studying it afterwards. It seems as though "The Ramsey method" would be the ideal method to use when it comes to much larger games, because it relies on you doing loads of research and studying it all afterwards, where as the other methods don't seem to go into as much detail and dedication as "The Ramsey method". 
 
In my opinion, nowadays because the most popular video games are made over years of work by big teams and look amazing, it sort of makes you think that you have to make games that are way too complex as a beginner, but that's not the case because all big games are made by hundreds if not thousands of people with years of training to get to that point, so you don't need to be discouraged when getting into game design. I am really interested in pursuing a career in the gaming industry, so I enjoyed reading all of these articles and the information that I learned from them was great.
 
My favourite article to read by far was the first one that was titled "What is a game anyway?".
This article was a great one to start with and opened your eyes to this module and made it feel less intimidating and more exciting to get into, as it holds a lot of good information on game design and is a good introduction overall.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jordan, I liked reading your thoughts on those articles. I tend to agree with what you said about the most popular video games being made by highly skilled teams with vast resources and money on their side. Consider Grand Theft Auto V for example, it was released in 2013 and is still one of the most popular games that is streamed on Twitch. On the other hand we see games like Among Us that were designed by small indie studios and as we both know Among Us was insanely popular last year. Thats great that you want to be a game designer in the future, I hope you'll get a good feel of what its like to be one from working through this module!

    ReplyDelete

Project Progress

Image from wallpaperflare.com This week is the final project task for my 2D game that I created and called Knight trials I had a lot of fun ...