Saturday, October 16, 2021

Game Idea Research

The Game Idea that I would like to go with is my first idea that I came up with as I think this is a realistic goal and something that I would enjoy making because I like the whole concept of it.

Like I mentioned in my Game Brainstorm Blog I want this game to have a camera angle that's like the camera angle in Gta Chinatown wars which is a fully rotatable camera that is pointed down at the action. My game will be like an action arcade zombie game and it will either have levels or rounds the aim of the game is do survive the hordes of zombies that are chasing you and trying to kill you so you are basically a run and gunner and each zombie that you kill will earn you a currency called Brainbucks which will give you access to a store where you can buy guns etc I also want my game to look like a cartoon and have a cartoon theme to it this is just a brief overview of how I want the game to work and of course some things may be too complex to be included and that's okay they can be altered as my game is being developed.

Game Mechanics

  • For my first game mechanic I want a camera angle that is top down and always shows the players actions from above during the game for the whole environment.
  • I want a currency system put into the game where each zombie you kill rewards you with 1 Brainbuck to where you can then use in an item shop to purchase valuable items that will help you through the game.
  • A possible levelling system where you can level up and possibly earn something when levelling up every-time as players like having a goal or objective to grind towards and it keeps them playing.
  • Bigger and bigger zombie hordes as each round or level increases, I want the zombies to increase or at least get stronger in some way.

These are just a few game mechanics and at least the main ones that I would like in my game of course some might be a bit difficult to achieve right now so I may have to change some things around and that's okay because I have my game down in my head so I just have to create it the best way that I can.

Here are a few images that represent my game in some way as I couldn't decide on just one.


Image from www.gamepro.de  
An example of the camera angle that I want and it being a top down fully rotating camera but possibly even more above then displayed on in this image.


Just a brief image going over possible gun models that could be put into my game.

Image from 2dgameartguru.com
An overview of how the character models will be viewed and played in the game from a top angle view like this.







Resources that helped me during this writeup

  • I found this video very informational on Camera angles in video games and learned a lot from it.
  • This post was helpful when it came to game mechanics and the understanding of it.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your blog on your game idea and how you plan to base it off Gta Chinatown wars and how you plan to use the same camera angle looking down on the player giving a wide 3D effect. This game idea reminded me of Dead Ops Arcade from the Black Ops game which was a great game also and am looking forward to your future blogs. I liked the game mechanics and seem well thought out like the brain bucks, I liked that you provided other images from different game showing at what could be achieved in your game. Some of the game mechanics sound difficult but very interesting such as more and more enemies zombies as the level goes up and continues which seems difficult to achieve but wish you the best of luck in your game and look forward in seeing it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jordan!
    I love the idea with the camera angle, The GTA series are really good games to take inspiration from! OOoo a zombie game nice! I am wondering tough will the zombies be like fast “World War Z” kind of zombies or slow “The Walking Dead” kind of zombies. I really hope things won’t get too complex for you this sounds like an amazing game. You mentioned how the zombies could be stronger, What if you make them faster?? I am also curious with the location the game will be set in? Will it be a city?? A forest?? I like the currency system although I feel like this will be very complicated unless your experienced then I cannot assume this. Hopefully in the end there will be a way for me to play this awesome game! I love the images and I can’t wait for more updates on your blog. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guy this game is giving me so many Dead Ops Arcade flashbacks and for that alone I thank you so much, I love arcade based games and I'm really liking the idea of this one! Not only is a game like this unique in todays current game market but the idea to have "Brainbucks" just sounds so funny and great, like the modern COD Zombies meets Dead Ops! It's also nice to be seeing inspiration taken from such late and great GTA instalments, it reminds me of the first one which was completely top-down based! I wonder how the brainbucks mechanic will work in game however I do admit, for example do you have to play the game, get a game over and then you can spend the Brainbucks in a store or can you upgrade and spend them as you progress through the rounds? Maybe like a treasure room every 10 or so rounds where you can spend freely without zombie spawns? I can't wait to see how this game progresses and how the ideas are adapted!

    ReplyDelete

Project Progress

Image from wallpaperflare.com This week is the final project task for my 2D game that I created and called Knight trials I had a lot of fun ...